Review for Gleneagles (King's)

I must declare an interest in that I regard the Gleneagles Resort so highly that in 2009 I purchased a week’s time-share stay for virtual perpetuity in a house on the Glenmor Estate in the Resort. My reason was so that I would get to play the King’s and Queen’s course every year in early May.

I simply adore the place, it’s old-fashioned dignity and style, the refreshingly cold almost magical air, and the feeling of space and quiet calm in a playground framed by the mighty Ochil Hills. In my view, the English language does not have a word that adequately describes the beauty and sheer majesty of Gleneagles!

And the King’s Course is the crown and probably my favourite golf course anywhere. For sure it has its faults, 3 of the 4 par 3s are of similar length and the greens in early May are normally ‘bumpy’ as the grass is not by then growing strongly due to a micro-climate which means that Gleneagles seems to be colder than the surrounding area. But these are minor gripes.

The variety of the holes designed by James Braid over 100 years ago takes the breath away and the challenge is unremitting from the moment you’ve driven on the opening hole ‘Dun Whinny’ and are faced by a mid-iron shot to a hilltop green with a cavernous bunker halfway up the slope. To my mind the intoxicating assortment of traditional holes here does not include a weak one, although generously wide fairways are a constant reassurance.

As a youngster I got in to golf watching Lee Trevino, Tony Jacklin, Sean Connery, Bruce Forsyth ‘et al’ playing Pro-Celebrity Golf on the King’s Course at Gleneagles in glorious technicolor on my tv screen. Now over 40 years later, I am indeed fortunate to tee it up here every year. It is the fulfilment of a boyhood dream best summed up by Trevino’s immortal words all those years ago as the intro on this website ‘if heaven is as good as this, I sure hope they have some tee times left’.

Date: May 02, 2021

Read all reviews about Gleneagles (King's)