Review for Gleneagles (King's)

A late March trip to Gleneagles was always going to be a risky proposition but I was tempted by the greatly reduced green fee to have a go at this Braid classic. Unfortunately the weather was not kind and a fierce north westerly wind meant the golf was a struggle. It was still possible to appreciate some great golf holes carved into the Perthshire hills. It was a lot more open than I had anticipated but it is designed in such a way that you very rarely see other golfers. That feeling of solitude when playing a hole was very appealing. The course was in good condition for the time of year and not as wet as I had expected. My main gripe would be how far forward the yellow tees were. It meant the course was playing only 6100 yards, par 68 which left me feeling I wasn't getting the full King's experience. Several par 3's in particular were playing too short. They look completely different - and better - off the regular tees. The facilities and welcome you get are everything you would expect from somewhere like Gleneagles. I would love to play again in mid-summer but could never justify the peak season green fees. I would still rate Blairgowrie Rosemount as the best inland track I've played in Scotland.

Date: March 31, 2009

Read all reviews about Gleneagles (King's)