Golf in the Chichester area dates back to 1892 when a club was formed and a rudimentary 9-hole course came into play at Peckham Copse. The club received a noble helping hand at the turn end of the 19th century when the sixth Duke of Richmond offered to move the club to the foxhound kennels on his vast Goodwood Estate. Surely dog kennels would never make a comfortable clubhouse? Well, architect to George III, James Wyatt, designed these kennels in 1787 for the famous Charlton Hunt and they are of significant architectural importance and the finest example of Sussex flint work in the county.
The Duke of Richmond’s estate workers laid out the original course at Goodwood Golf Club, but James Braid designed a proper sporting course in 1914, the essence of which is played today and it still bears many of Braid’s hallmark doglegged holes and intimidating cross bunkering.
Naturally, the chalky South Downs provide not only excellent drainage but also dramatic elevation change, ideal for exciting golf and for panoramic views across the Goodwood Estate to Chichester Cathedral, the Solent and the Isle of Wight beyond.
In 2004, Howard Swan started a lengthy renovation of the historic Downs course. It was extended to a meaty 7,104 yards from the back tees but the integrity of Braid’s original design was cleverly maintained retaining the best of Braid’s holes while also creating holes that cater for today’s big hitting golfers. The new and spectacular par four 2nd is a great example, which combines two of Braid’s original holes. An accurate drive to an escarpment leaves an inviting approach shot to a large green sited in the valley below.
In 1989 Donald Steel added a second course at Goodwood Golf Club, known as the Park course and it’s open for pay and play amongst the majestic cedars. Unfortunately, the Downs course is only open to members and their guests unless you book a golf day and invite all your golfing friends to experience the best downland golf course in Britain.
In 2014, Goodwood commissioned Mackenzie &
Ebert to refurbish the bunkers of the Downs course in a phased approach, which completed
in April 2017.
October 26, 2006