Gort Golf Club was formed in 1924, though it was originally called the Rockfield Golf Club. Members played on a course off the Galway Road for fifty years before moving first to Laughtyshaughnessy and then, twenty years later to their current location in Castlequarter.
Designed by Christy O' Connor Jnr and opened in 1996, Gort is an 18-hole parkland course laid out on one hundred and sixty acres of land that was once owned by the Fleming and Finnegan families. The ancient monastery of Kilmacduagh lies less than a long iron distance from the course.
Located on the edge of the Burren landscape, Gort sits in an area of outstanding natural beauty, enjoying superb views of the Slieve Aughty Mountains and the hills of Clare, with the woods of Coole flanking the course on one side.
The holes are routed over land that is gently undulating with subtle changes in elevation. Water comes into play on several of the front nine holes adding both spectacle and difficulty to proceedings. There are several holly groves and apple orchards throughout, along with many new plantings which will give greater definition to the course as they mature.
Three holes are worthy of special mention. First, the 4th, a 364-yard par four where the approach to the green must avoid water on the left and hazel bushes to the right. Secondly, the 8th, a 176-yard par three, which has a carry of more than 150 yards over Burren stone to the green apron. Thirdly, the 17th, a 536 yard par five where golfers can plot their way to a potential birdie with a drive down the left then a second shot to the right of the fairway before a pitch and putt for the chance of a very satisfying four.