Review for Grand National (Links)

Perhaps it could have been called Redundant National. Four of the first seven greens were identical: three tiered jobs. On the back nine, a new redundancy appeared: a ridge bisecting the green from right to left. There were still a few of the first redundancies, though. So by the time I’d finished my round, I felt like I’d putted on half a dozen greens at the most.

Or perhaps it could have been called “The Long Walk.” No, it wasn’t nearly the length of Slawomir Rawicz’s trek from Siberia to India during World War II, but it certainly felt like it. I knew I was in for it when the path from the 1st green to the 2nd tee was nearly a quarter mile….as was the walk between the 15th and 16th. There were similar forced marches on half the holes. Yes, I could have taken a cart, but that sport bears only a passing resemblance to golf…..kinda like the difference between downhill skiing and cross-country.

The course does have some redeeming qualities, including good condition and some interesting holes. My four ball rating is nearly a three, but I will concede it is an above average course.

Date: April 11, 2019

Read all reviews about Grand National (Links)