Review for The Grove

I remain bemused by the high rating The Grove is awarded every year. It's a decent course - condition is always good and the service is exceptional (though you certainly pay for it - see later.) However the course isn't remotely exceptional and there are far more forgettable than memorable holes - in particular the par 5s are dull. I must have played the course half a dozen times and can't remember more than 2-3 holes, which tells you most of what you need to know.

Overall its a very nice society day out, but anyone interested in playing it would be advised to do so at someone else's expense as both the green fee and food/beverages are exorbitant.

Better courses and clubs in Hertfordshire include Moor Park, Ashridge and my own favourite Hadley Wood. If you took a poll of Hertfordshire golfers I'd be very surprised if the majority didn't rate these as the best three, though the ranking order is a matter of personal taste. If they get it back into decent condition, add the Palmerston at Brocket Hall to round out a top 4. And no, I haven't forgotten Centurian......

Date: December 28, 2017