Review for Gullane (No.1)

Excellent course. Wasn’t what I was expecting. Thought it was going to be a slog up and down the hill but this was not the case. Obvious elevation changes but routed beautifully and very few average holes. Maybe the first and the 10th (which is being revamped) are the only mediocre holes. The 2nd is a beautiful hole as are a number of the holes down the other side.

It was a round I didn’t want to end. Played it with some nice West Coast folk. Expect to see a couple of putters on the road to Largs over the next day or two.

Greens were huge and smooth with subtle contours, nothing outrageous. The rough was manageable, penal but likely to find your ball on most holes.

Bunkering is superb, tough and hard to avoid. The little one right in the middle of the fairway collected my nailed drive down the hill (maybe the 8th?) and what I thought may have been a possible eagle putt turned into double bogey. When your ball goes in at speed they tend to sit within an inch or two of the face and that is savage.

Great course that caters for fun and a challenge. Getting close to 6 ball territory but not quite. I may have jumped the gun when I recently ranked Craigielaw 5 balls as well – let’s just say Gullane is a strong one. Warren from Aust

Date: May 04, 2017

Read all reviews about Gullane (No.1)