Review for Gullane (No.2)

So far, of the Gullane courses, we have only played Gullane II, and we loved it. The course starts in the valley in front of the visitors clubhouse and ends there as well, the other holes are played around the hill with nice views over the bay and surrounding golf courses. When we played it was not overly crowded, but I can imagine it can get a bit crowded on busy days.

We played that day with a 2 club wind, and that is when the fun begins! Especially on top of the hill, the wind was forcing us to punch our way around, making sure to keep the ball in play.

I found the hole three uphill a bit funny, but all the other holes were excellent golf holes, with good design, sufficient length, excellent links turf & rough and outstanding green complexes. Gullane II offers both excellent short and long holes. If Gullane I and III are of the same quality as Gullane II, this is an exceptional collection of quality links golf holes!

Maybe the only hole that is out of sink with the others, is hole 19: the visitors' clubhouse. Whilst the members' clubhouse sits beautiful alongside the first tee of Gullane I, the visitors' clubhouse is a rather unwelcoming place near the first tees of Gullane II & III. So we missed the after round member & guest interaction in the clubhouse that other courses provide. But the good news is: Gullane offers a variety of pubs and restaurants for your cool down after the round.

We played the course from the yellow tees and I scored a decent 72, so you can wake me up any time of the day to play this course again!

Gullane is definitely on the list when we come back again.

OCB

Date: June 07, 2017

Read all reviews about Gullane (No.2)