Designed by American Mike Asmundson from Port Townsend, Washington, the golf course at the Hacienda Chicureo Club is laid out in two rather contrasting loops with the front nine (known as Loma Larga) occupying gently undulating terrain and the back nine (named Cerro Colorado) routed around a more contoured landscape.
A couple of lakes come into play on the front nine and their sparkling waters protect the greens at both the 211-yard 4th and 200-yard 6th. On the back nine, the 460-yard 13th is a brute of a par four, doglegging downhill to the right past a lone specimen tree in the middle of the fairway to a green that sits on the other side of a creek.The club has hosted a number of big professional tournaments in recent times. The biggest event, the Hacienda Chicureo Open Copa BCI, was held here for five years between 2006 and 2010, with the last one sanctioned as an official competition on the Tour de las Americas circuit.
Played this very nice venue one month ago in beautiful fall colours at this time of the year around Santiago de Chile. I had played in the area 16 years ago in the neighbour Brisas de Chicureo (both courses) but this one was still not there.
I have had very good reviews and was expecting very much to be there and I was not disappointed at all. It will of course never be Los Leones in charm, history and design but it is good, fun and the tiwlight in the terrace was a great way to end the golf day. It was a little bit windy, which it really made a difference when you had it in your face.
Some of the best holes:
- Par 5 3rd with a well protected green with water, reachable in 2 but very risky if you miss.
- Par 3 4th another great one, mid to long iron to a well protected green
- Par 5 7th has a sort of trees hazard almost in the middle of the fairway, but it is a great 3 shot one.
- Par 4 11th uphill and with a very nice designed green, where if you go long God help you!
- Par 4 13th has a blind downhill tee shot but it is one of the best ones.
- Par 4 16th blind tee shot where you need to know if you can reach the water before you select your club.
Then par 3 14th has a mickey mouse green, if they fix it they can turn it one of the best holes of the course.
Very enjoyable time, excellent food, helpful crew and great climate almost all year long.