Review for Hadley Wood

I played Hadley Wood in January on a cold and wet day. The place is very nice with a lovely old fashioned clubhouse which overlooks the 11th and 18th holes. The place has a nice vibe about it and it’s clearly a lovely and friendly club to be a member of.

The course itself is a parkland course with lots of lovely tree lined holes. The condition for the time of year was pretty decent although the tees and fairways were quite boggy which was not a surprise considering the bucket loads of rain we’d had in the last couple days. However the greens were in good nick for the time of year and rolled fairly well. Some of their best holes included the par 3 7th which was a 140 yard elevated tee shot down to a narrow green guarded by many bunkers and water over the back. I also enjoyed 9, a risk and reward par 4 where longer hitters would be able to get close to the green (or at least the people I was playing with!) and a lovely view of the clubhouse from the green. 11 and 18 were both lovely par 4s which both played towards the clubhouse which makes it hard not to like! There were some blander holes including a few uninspiring par 3s and quite a lot of the par 4s do feel the same but all in all the course is quite nice and one of the better ones in hertfordshire in my opinion. I think the club is worthy of a trip in the summer when the weather is fairer and the leaves are on the trees, that’s the best way to play parkland golf! I would say it just about scrapes into a 4 ball rating, just. A good course and well respected.

Date: August 06, 2020