Review for Hamilton Island

I had a great time on Hamilton Island (Dent Island).

I enjoyed the golf course and don’t recall losing a ball. Yes, you have to take a cart. It must be a kilometre or more from the 17th green to the 18th tee but that is what happens when you squeeze a golf course into the available land on an island. I don’t mind taking the cart especially in those circumstances. I think Thomson/Perrett did a great job in difficult circumstances. Someone told me that relatively this is one of the, if not the, most expensive golf course ever built in Australia. The difficulties were such. I think the island is a nature preserve and nothing not native to the island could be brought in. What do you do when you need soil and there is none? Apparently you grind rocks to powder.

Anyway, the golf. The course in my view is far better than many resort courses and I’ve played a few. Some great Par 3s and interesting 4s. I played on the back of torrential rain from a passing cyclone. The course was under water one day and playable the next. I’d happily go back and play more golf there. Probably I wouldn’t make it a destination course such that you travel to Hamilton Island just to play golf on Dent Island but if you are holidaying at Hamilton, and you are a golfer, then you’d be crazy not to play the golf course. You’ll enjoy it and yes, the views are spectacular.

Date: July 02, 2020