Hankley Common - Surrey - England

GU10 2DD,

• Alex Woodward

• James Braid, Harry Colt

• Jonathan Didlick

Hankley Common Golf Club is situated on the North Downs, in a preservation area or to be precise, a ‘Site of Special Scientific Interest’, home to oak, rowan and the woodlark.

In many ways, Hankley is reminiscent of Walton Heath, which is high praise indeed; the common at Tilford has the same ferocious heather and the same wide-open and windswept appearance as that of the heath at Walton on the Hill. If there was ever a place where seaside links golf meets inland heathery golf, it’s here at Hankley Common.

Golf at Hankley commenced in 1897 with a modest nine-hole course but it remained an innocuous layout until James Braid added a further nine holes in 1922. Many people believe that Hankley Common became a truly great course in 1936, after Harry Colt remodelled it.

There is an overwhelming feeling of spaciousness on this heathland course, so much so that it seems plausible that a second or third course could be intertwined between the existing 18 holes. To put everything into context, the course at Hankley Common occupies 164 acres, but the club actually owns more than 850 acres of perfect heathland. Don’t let this feeling of space lull you into a false sense of security – this is not the place to open your shoulders and let rip. Anything slightly off-line will be swallowed up by bunkers, or even worse, by the thick tangled heather.

Eight new back tees are now in play, adding more than 250 extra yards. Hankley Common now measures an impressive 6,702 yards from the tips. This is a really technically testing golf course. Regional Qualifying for the Open has been held at Hankley Common since 1984 and the club has hosted numerous other important amateur and professional events over the years.

The par threes, especially the 7th and the 11th are enjoyable and challenging, as are the opening and closing holes. Both are tough par fours, measuring well over 400 yards.

So, if you are looking for a memorable, testing and expansive golf course with true greens, look no further than Hankley Common.

Reviews for Hankley Common

Description: There is an overwhelming feeling of spaciousness at Hankley Common, so much so that it seems plausible that a second or third course could be intertwined between the existing 18 holes. Rating: 5.2 out of 6 Reviews: 54

I have played Hankley on a golf trip for the last 4 years, and personnelly think the rating is too low.you will play this course once and remember every hole. Set in 900 acres of land and only 5mile from the A3,you would think you are on the Ilse of Skye.an absolute must for the bucket list and do not count the cost, it's worth every penny.
August 23, 2011

This course was imaculate, a tough test and a joy to play. I have played 10 or so courses in the top 100 and it is worthy of its current ranking. It is covered in thick heather,fast true greens and contrary to the previous reports the bunkers I went in had plenty of sand and were in top condition. I would find it hard to pick fault.
August 11, 2011

Good... and could be great. I played in the Mid-Age Amateur Open last week and although the heathland setting is majestic, I couldn’t help feeling a tad disappointed. Let’s start with the good points: the quality of the heather surely must be the best in the UK and the course itself is a great test especially off the purple tees – particularly 3, 10 and 12; a lovely variety of holes with 7 and 18 being outstanding; the welcome in the clubhouse was very warm - excellent food and friendly staff. And yet... the greens were not up to what I expect for this type of course, not nearly as good as I remember them and certainly nowhere near Top 100 standard; the bunkers were in a dreadful state, some had a few inches of sand, others had hardly any. Overall, Hankley is a delight... but it could be so much better.
July 13, 2011

I’m a huge fan of Hankley Common. It’s a great layout by Braid/Colt and in a beautiful heathland setting. We played in June and to my surprise the greens were not in great nick – very patchy and bumpy and with an inconsistent bounce. The course has been tinkered with a bit, new bunkers looked odd and some artificial humps here and there, which looked out of character with the course. Some areas -especially the tees - had more of a manicured parkland feel to it, rather than heathland. Warm welcome from everyone and food was very good. Still a great layout, shame about the greens.
June 13, 2011

Played in March on abright breesey day. A very emnjoyable heathland course, designed by Harry Colt it has many of his vavioured features manly the ablity to run the ball into greens which makes it playable to all handicap levels.
July 27, 2010

Hankley Common is an excellent course. Attractive, challenging, excellently maintained. We had a thoroughly enjoyable round, spoilt only by the incredibly rude pair of duffers who were in front of us.Completely unable to keep up with the four balls in front, they forced us to wait countless times while they looked for their balls in the heather. I have also seen glaciers move quicker, and as for showing respect for other players who are putting, forget it!I would guess that they added 30 - 45 minutes to our round.Clearly, etiquette is something that is not required from the male members of the club (the ladies behind us who were also forced to wait were the very epitome of charm and grace - gentlemen of Hankley, learn from them!)All in all, a great course, but if our experience is anything to go by, make sure you book a tee time when there are no male members playing.
July 05, 2010

Played on a blustery early May day for the first time and was left feeling that whilst its a very nice course i think the ranking of 22nd in England is a bit on the high side. A nice start with a tough Par 4 (especially into the wind) but after the first couple of holes i'm struggling to remeber many until you get to the final 6 or 7. Things get better on the final stretch and my playing companions and I all agreed that the back nine was a lot stronger then the front with a couple of lovely par 4s and a strong finishing hole. The par 3s are pretty good but I don't agree with a previous reviewers comments that they're the best collection of Par 3s he's ever seen. Just go down the road to Liphook and they have better Par3s, plus the greens at Liphook knock spots of those at Hankley. Overall its a nice track but not great. Max
May 04, 2010

McCall
July 21, 2010
The greens at Liphook are good but have you tried the fairways recently?
Played here for the first time earlier this week and absolutey loved it. I had heard a rumour somewhere that the greens weren't up to their usual standard, but have to be honest they were some of the nicest I have putted on this season. Fast and true. The par 3's here are all different in nature, and if you play them well, and keep out of the heather (of which there is plenty!) you will score well. The heather here really is penal and I managed to stay out of it for the first 8 holes, but on the 9th I pulled my drive badly. Just missing a bunker it looked like I was lucky (from the tee). Unfortunately when I found my ball buried in the thick stuff, I was now wishing I had found the sand. My old course (Crowborough Beacon) had a little heather on it, but I can't ever remember it being this thick! Three attempts to extracate myself, a chip and missed putt saw me record my first N/R of the day. Shame that, because I was putting a good card together! Two more visits to the thick stuff (17 & 18) saw me tumbling down the leaderboard very quickly. The whole course was in splendid condition though, superb tees, carpet-like fairways and as I say, the greens were top notch. The welcome afforded us in the clubhouse was first rate too. The starter (can't remember his name now!) was very helpful and gave us "newbies" to the course some good advice and a few hints and tips. The food in the clubhouse was some of the best I have had at a golf club. All in all a memorable visit, and I will certainly return to play again....but only 18 next time.
August 27, 2009

Good but not great. Fantastic peice of ground and not a bad layout, but i really came away thinking the green complexes and bunkering were pretty poor when compared to what they could be. Not an interesting green on the entire courseNice but not a patch on the potential of the land they have available.
July 02, 2009

I played twice in one day recently and have say - it is beautiful.The start is so-so but once you turn away from the club house, stunning holes come one after the other. There's a fantastic range of long par 4s but I thought the collection of 3s are possibly the best I have ever played.A surprisingly warm welcome and a fantastic greens await!
October 31, 2008