Review for Hanover

I almost shed a tear when I heard that this course was being closed permanently. Having grown up in the area, I was able to spend my teenage golfing years attempting to corral my slice around this fun and engaging course.

The location of the course, right in the heart of Hanover and Dartmouth College, made this course a local favorite. The beauty of the course was derived from the rolling hills of the Upper Connecticut River valley. Much like the friendly courses across the Atlantic, a local trail system weaves its way in between the holes, often encountering a practicing ski team or locals with their dogs. This was a nice touch!

The opening stretch wound back and forth between a wide open field near the clubhouse. Back to back par threes on 4 and 5 end a nice handshake and bring you to a bridge that crosses a ravine to an entirely different piece of property.

It is important to note that this course was walkable, but was better classified as a hike. Many hills and valleys made for steep walks from tee to fairway. Holes 14, 15, 16, and 17 bring you back to the opening half of the property after a long hot slog through New Hampshire’s slopes. The par 5 18th plays back to a beautiful old clubhouse that signifies the end of a beautiful walk.

It is a shame that the college let this course fade away. For a while I was hoping that an alum would endow the golf course, however my hopes have passed. When I return home, I drive by the vacant fairways wondering and wishing that I could get one more round.

Date: August 08, 2021