The Heath Golf Club was formed in 1930 though golf has been played in the area since the late 19th century, evidenced by the club having a trophy that dates back to 1891 when there was a military barracks in the town. Eddie Hackett expanded the original 9-hole course to the present 18-hole layout in the 1970s.
In Kevin Markham’s book Hooked: an amateur’s guide to the golf courses of Ireland the author writes: this is open countryside and the course itself feels very open with plenty of views. It can be dangerous with some holes a bit close together, but fairways are separated by trees and the roll of the land is well used to steer you.
The Heath is heathland golf, with the kind of earth that plays perfectly in winter or summer, and runs and runs on a dry day. But beware, for the same applies to the greens. They are slick, steep and thrilling. In terms of design it is straightforward stuff, with holes using the natural landscape. It can play long but it is always pleasantly different.”
Occupying a compact 120-acre property, the course measures just over 6,000 metres in length from the back markers, playing to a par of 71, with holes arranged as two returning nines. Highlight holes include the right doglegging short par four 5th; the only par five on the back nine at the 500-mere 15th; and the last of the par threes at the 175-metre 17th.