Review for Herefordshire

A well designed parkland course with a huge variety of holes, The Herefordshire is set in the middle of tranquil and beautiful countryside. Some of the surrounding views are so good, you just feel very lucky to be playing golf in such a location. The individual holes have been well summed up by a previous reviewer and my favourites were the 5th a sporting short par 4, the 11th a scenic par 4 from a raised tee and the rollercoaster par 5 at 14 which at 534 yards is the longest hole. The finishing two holes although not long require good accuracy from the tee, if a good card is not to be ruined.

The one aspect which lets the golf course down is that the underlying soil is clay or very similar, with the result that drainage can become a real problem. The grass is lush and very green, but we played during a particularly wet autumn and were smattered with mud long before the end. We decided to play preferred lies even from the light rough because the golf ball quickly got covered in cloying mud. I was told that in summer time when it is dry, conditions are near perfect and I would like to return and play at that time. But in the meantime I have marked a worthy 4 ball rating down to 3 and a half, because whenever conditions are so heavy underfoot, it does make playing the game hard work.

Date: October 23, 2020