Heythrop Park - Oxfordshire - England

Enstone,
Chipping Norton,
Oxfordshire,
OX7 5UF,

You’ll find Heythrop Park in the charming Cotswolds, close to the market town of Chipping Norton and a mere fifteen miles to the north of bustling Oxford. At the centre of the 440-acre Heythrop Park Estate stands a grand Baroque-styled country house that was restored and converted into a luxury hotel and country club by businessman and former owner of Oxford United Football Club, Firoz Kassam.

Tom Mackenzie, of Mackenzie & Ebert Ltd, designed Heythrop Park, which opened for play in October 2009 and it’s routed through the leafy grounds of the stately Heythrop Estate.

With five sets of tees which stretch out to an impressive 7,156 yards from the tips, Heythrop Park is a course that will challenge the best while remaining enjoyably playable for the higher handicapper. USGA standard greens provide all-year-round consistency, and, with water coming into play on no fewer than eight holes, Heythrop Park will provide for an exciting and at times rather exacting day’s golf.

Heythrop Park Golf Club membership will be limited to 400 and the club are currently offering exclusive VIP tours of the golf course and the Health Club. If any one of the Top 100 team lived close by, we’d love to be part of one of the century’s most exciting English golf developments.

Finally, we’d like to mention “The Heythrop Challenge”. Archer Bridge is the name of Heythrop’s risk and reward 6th hole. Naturally, with “Bridge” in the name, water is the predominant feature. The Heythrop Challenge is to drive the green, 277 yards from the tee. You’ll have to carry the lake and stop the ball on the green. If you are successful, they will waive your joining fee for membership. Will you take it on?

Reviews for Heythrop Park

Description: Heythrop Park opened for limited play in October 2009. Routed through the leafy grounds of the stately Heythrop Estate, it's one of the century’s most exciting English golf developments... Rating: 6 out of 10 Reviews: 26
Stuart Armstrong
Heythrop Park is a must play. The course is superb and anybody who is into golf will find it a really interesting and exciting challenge. There a number of really strong holes in particular the 5th which is a classic risk and reward par 4 and the 6th which involves a drive over water leaving a short iron to a well protected green. The 11th and 18th are brilliant. The 11th is played with the gran house behind you and is a really strong par 5. The 18th is played back towards the house down an avenue of trees. The club house is modern and really well laid out. Service is superb and with online tee times available from £20 per round I would get in there while you can!!
August 15, 2010

Peter
I played Heythrop yesterday and I think this course is brilliant. My judgement may be clouded because I eagled the 18th. I have never left a review before but feel compelled to do so in this instance. I’d already rate this as probably the best course in Oxfordshire.The staggering thing about the course is it’s new. Apparently the greens were only seeded May 2009 and yet they play true, fast and have some very subtle borrows that you’d normally see on ‘well bedded in’ greens. All the things that new clubs leave til later are done and done well. Signs, paths, bunkers, tees, bridges, water features and practice areas are all seemingly complete. The design is astonishing. Clever placement of bunkers and use of existing mature trees make some of the drives and approach shots very interesting. You will probably look, think, look again, smile, change your mind, smile, change your club 6 times and still get it wrong. The risk/reward holes are well thought out and can be serious card wreckers.It meanders through classic, historic, country house parkland. This is not a course that has a 15 yard stroll from one green to the next tee, it is a long walk. Possibly, because of this once we left the first 4 holes we didn’t see another golfer until 17.All the staff are attentive and polite without being gushy, green staff were fantastic in being aware of the players around them. I think they’ve taken as much time in training and recruitment as they have on the design.Problems: 1. It’s too far from my house to visit regularly. 2. I’ve rated it so highly to my wife I will have to take her next time. 3. No 150 markers – who cares! The sprinkler heads have yardages on them (about 320 yds out from the 18th one amusingly states NO CHANCE). 4. And the only reason this isn’t getting top marks, is that some of the fairways still have drainage stripes. Did any of this spoil any part of the experience? – NOPE! Will I be back? – YEP!
August 04, 2010

Joe
November 18, 2012
I think Your view has been a little clouded by your eagle. dont get me wrong I am a massive fan of Heythrop but think you would be hard pushed to beat The Oxfordshire in the immediate area!
John
First class from start to finish this course has a real sense of theatre with the landscaping of the estate providing seclusion and raised viewing areas around many of the holes. The finest example of this being at the 13th hole with its natural amphitheatre behind the green reminiscent of the 17th at Valderrama. In an age when new layouts are dominated by length Heythrop has some delightful risk reward short holes. The 6th is testament to the fact that a par 4 reachable in one shot can prove to be just as difficult to navigate as one of its much longer siblings.
April 20, 2010

Edward
I had the pleasure of playing Heythrop yesterday and believe I witnessed what will become one of, if not the, finest course in England. Set within the stunning Heythrop residence with the country manor as a backdrop it gave of the aura of something speciall even as I was driving up the drive. Once there I paid my greenfee (only £60 - a figure sure to rise once it is established!) in the sleek and modern looking facility and set out onto the course. Apart from the first tee shot (which you drive through a narrow gap, with old oaks on one side and an out of bounds Jesuit Graveyard on the other), the first 3 holes were quite bland and I stood on the 4th tee thinking that this would turn out to be another The Grove, good holes but nothing inspiring. How wrong could I have been. After the solid dog-legging par 5 4th, the course opened up at the 5th as we ventured into the wildlife park. 5 and 6 were to off the best risk reward par 4's I have seen in a while, followed by two challenging par 4's in 7 and 8 before the 220 yard par 3 ninth (we played off the blacks - there are 5 tees for all abilities) put an end to a great nine. The back nine continues were the front left of, with good hole after good hole. 11 in particular, despite the blind tee shot, was probably my favourite on the whole course (its tough to pick one) and should certainly be experienced by any keen golfer. The also one of the most stunning I have seen in a while. A 600 yard par 5, which finishes pritty much on the doorstep of the ubeleivably vast country manorhouse. It calls itself a quitenssentially english course and this finish justifies it! Spectacular! This is the best championship course I have played in england by a long way and at its current price I could not recommend it more. A must for any keen golfer. The foods not bad either.
March 12, 2010

Phil B
I was fortunate enough to play at Heythrop Park the other day and what a treat it was. To rate this course as a “Gem” would be accurate for now, however I have a feeling Heythrop Park is destined for greater accolades as it grows. Considering its age, the quality of the course and greens were terrific for the time of year. This coupled with the surrounds of this beautiful ancient estate being brought back to life and a course design which effortlessly meandered through the grounds using the breathtaking natural geography to its maximum, left you with the knowledge this place truly has maturity beyond its years. It’s this natural environment that captures you the most as you play. The rolling terrain, mature woodlands and well managed tree planting provides the perfect back drop for a real challenge. Only don’t attempt the “Heythrop Challenge”, unless you have bottomless bag of balls at your disposal! I really enjoyed my golfing experience here and would highly recommend this course to those who want a natural test without the feeling of modern day contrived course design!
March 12, 2010

Andy Newmarch
Another new English course has arrived on the scene and I would say this is worth a visit. In saying that, this is work in progress but the early signs I think are promising. In places this looks very new but there is a great stretch of holes that are in a mature part of the estate from the 5th to the 13th. The first four holes look young and they are but I genuinely think they are designed well enough to mature nicely. In fact the tee shot on the very first hole is really demanding with a graveyard to deal with on the left hand side. Like I say, this is no-where near the finished article but there is enough to see that this course should have a bright future. My favourite hole is the par-3 13th, with the only advice being, don't be short. As a rating, I am going to give the course a 3-ball but anticipate a 4-ball over time. As for the off course facilities, there is mix of modern and traditional which works well. Hope to return in the summer...
March 07, 2010