Review for Highland at Primland

Primland Resort is located in a remote area of southwestern Virginia where peace, beauty and solitude abound. As we drove the meandering 2900 foot climb up Mountain Top Road to our cottage, I could literally felt the pressures of the daily grind receding. There is definitely something therapeutic about getting ‘away from it all’. Surrounded by unspoiled wilderness with an abundance of wildlife, it was evident why these 14,000 acres of wooded countryside would appeal to golfers, hikers, hunters, fisherman and ATVers alike.

The conditioning of this course is second to none and the huge greens are fast and true. Every hole here would be a ‘signature hole’ at many other golf courses. Renowned British golf course architect Donald Steel has done an amazing job of allowing the natural terrain to dictate the layout. The course starts off par 5, par 3, par 5, par 3 and then traverses through a forested plateau, around cliff-sides and across cavernous valleys. Steel attested to the fact that “This is my first course that I had to make easier versus harder”. Over dinner I got to learn more about his vision. “There is a remoteness about Primland, a sense of escape that is special. Golf courses have been built in every landscape imaginable but only rarely on mountain peaks” said Steele who admitted that this is his first mountain design. “Primland sits on top of the world, enjoying scenic views that stretch the vocabulary” and I couldn’t agree more! Mr. Steel claims that “it is difficult to compare a links-style design to a parkland or mountain course versus an ocean course. The architect still has to design a layout that is indigenous to the terrain”.

From my experience, I like all styles of courses that fit into their natural environment but I must confess that the peace and tranquility of being secluded in the mountains is like no other. This is a “not-to-be-missed” experience. For a complete story visit http://golftravelandleisure.com/2014/08/05/golf-in-primland-virginia/

Date: September 23, 2013