Review for Hindhead

I was lucky enough to play Hindhead for the first time the other day, after being invited by an ex-captain of the club.

I had read & been told lots of things about the greens, topography & overall design of the course, so I arrived with great expectations & an open mind.

I must say that I was taken back by the views down the first hole into the Devils Punchbowl area of Surrey, what an amazing view.

Back to the Golf, we played from the back tees & I would recommend this to future players, as its really brings the hazards into play. after a relatively gentle opening hole (great bunker on the right of the fairway), you then play a very picturesque par 5, not long but played from a raised tee down into the glacial valley then up to a raised green (a sign of things to come on the front 9).

Overall I really enjoyed the course (more so the Front 9), lots of heather & well placed bunkers. I wasn't bowled over by 2 of the par 3's (one playing 150yds which dropped off the side of the valley, the other playing 235yds into a 2 club breeze), the longer of the par 3's really needs rethinking, as some of the best Par 3's are under 150yds in length.

That aside, I would highly recommend Hindhead, in the summer the greens run fast & true, we played in October & they were still running around 9-10 on the stimp. Well worth the trip, especially if incorporating with a classic links such as Sunningdale/Wentworth etc...LM

Date: October 17, 2017