Review for Hindhead

I have played this a couple of times now, most recently on a breezy day a few weeks back. Fairways absolutely excellent, no doubt helped by irrigation. The greens were good and true but not especially quick and you could go to nearby Liphook for better in this respect.

As described in other reviews, it's a stunning course. After the first hole, a medium length par 4 downhill with lots of deep ball losing heather on either side you descend into the stunning valley based holes for the rest of the front 9.

The holes in the valley are stunning but a good number have rather narrow fairways and since my first visit they have grown up the rough and longish heather so that relatively slight misses can result in lost balls and considerable time on ball searches. Compared with the heather lined nearby courses it seemed almost penal in terms of not just costing you a shot trying to get out of hit which I would expect but losing you a ball instead. For ordinary golfers I felt this was a little tough although perhaps it is partly the time of year when the heather is in full flower and at it's most bushy. Our party had respective handicaps of 3,5,7 and 13 and we all spent a fair amount of time doing this even though we are all allegedly vaguely respectable club golfers. Perhaps we should have played the course more conservatively or perhaps we were having bad ball striking days, but we all felt this detracted a little from the enjoyment compared with our past visit and it certainly played tough. In any event I would not wish this complaint to detract from such a stunning set of holes.

It opens up a little on the back 9 and played relatively easier until the 17th, although still lots of heather lined fairways and a good selection of interesting holes . By the end of the round we felt well challenged with many of the par 4's stretching over 400 yards and a challenging set of par 3's. Only the par 5's felt relatively easy to score on and even then not many birdies were made across our group.

Overall it's a stunning course. I find nearby Liphook and Blackmoor slightly more enjoyable to play and more suited to the standard club golfer, but for absolutely stunning visual appeal and brilliant conditioning I think Hindhead is very hard to beat. It's probably more enjoyable for the really accurate hitters (unlike us when we played a few weeks back). Out of the three I'd definitely choose to be a member at Liphook if I could, but for a truly challenging test of golf in a visually stunning setting, Hindhead would get my choice for the one off visit. Just ensure you bring your best ball striking round to the party. Overall it's very good, bordering on excellent.

Date: September 25, 2019