Hindhead - Surrey - England

Churt Road,
Hindhead,
Surrey,
GU26 6HX,

Hindhead Golf Club originally featured on the Top 100 website as a Gem and was nominated by Chris. It was added to the site in February 2005. Since then, Hindhead became an English Top 100 ranked course and then appeared within our 2016 Britain & Ireland Top 100 ranking list for the first time. Keith Baxter, Editor-in-Chief, has been singing Hindhead's praises for more than a decade and comments as follows:

Martin, a friend of mine, is a member at Hindhead Golf Club and I have been lucky enough to play here on numerous occasions. Each and every time I stand on the 2nd tee I ask myself the question: Why on earth is Hindhead not ranked more highly?

Hindhead Golf Club was founded in 1904 and it was the inspiration of a number of golfing enthusiasts. It is therefore “elementary, my dear Watson” that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was amongst the original founders.

The Devil's Punchbowl is a large hollow of dry sandy heath to the west of Hindhead and it’s overlooked by Gibbet Hill, which is the second highest hill in Surrey. The front nine at Hindhead is laid out through these heather strewn Ice Age valleys and the back nine plays on the hillside heathland plateau. The location is not only breathtaking, it’s truly beautiful.

"If you've never played the course before," wrote Tom Doak in The Confidential Guide to Golf Courses, "it would be difficult to convince you that there is a fairway waiting down there from the 2nd tee." By the time you reach the 3rd hole – one of the best par threes I’ve ever played – you too will be asking yourself the question why is Hindhead not in the Top 100? By the time you reach the par three 6th, the signature hole, you’ll be so convinced that this is a Top 100 course that you’ll be mentally writing a letter to one of the glossy golf magazine's Top 100 ranking panellists.

Undoubtedly, the front nine is the most dramatic and memorable, but the back nine also represents fine golf on ideal golfing terrain. The tee shot at 17 is intimidating and the right to left sloping fairway is tough to hit.

In my mind, without doubt, Hindhead was one of the best, if not the best course never to have appeared on a Britain & Ireland Top 100 list. A decade after first listing Hindhead as a Gem it entered our Britain & Ireland Top 100. About time I say, and I'm not alone in my opinion, Hindhead is one of Peter Alliss' favourite courses. Additionally, Hindhead was featured in Frank Pennink's Choice of Golf Courses: “Perhaps the most picturesque of Surrey’s many beautiful heather-and-pine courses.”

Click link to visit the Blog of Hindhead Golf Club’s Greenkeeping Team

Reviews for Hindhead

Description: The front nine at Hindhead Golf Club is laid out through heather strewn Ice Age valleys and the back nine plays on a heathland plateau. Rating: 8.3 out of 10 Reviews: 53
Simon Rourke
I played Hindhead in June 2011 as part of a society, several of our society members were in fact members at Hindhead so we were well prepped as to what was in store. First off, I have played several of the many ‘famed’ Surrey courses, including Queenwood, Wentworth (West), St. George's Hill and Walton Heath so I was very interested to see how this particular ‘unsung hero’ would perform. To my delight I was really impressed with Hindhead from when we first arrived in the car park to when we finally left, the place is a traditional members golf club and you can tell a lot of money has been spent on the clubhouse and the facilities. The locker rooms are spacious and practical and the practice facilities are fantastic.

Hindhead is a real case of two nines, I have never played a course with such contrasting front and back nines before. The front 9 literally takes your breath away, the changes in elevation are incredible once you get on the 2nd tee, many of the holes are cut through the valleys with banks on either side, the 3rd par 3 is a particular highlight with real danger if you go left. The 4th par 5 is a terrific golf hole and perfectly sums up the front 9, elevated tee, fairways banked on either side and very strategic bunkering.

At the turn you are greeted with a fantastic halfway hut where a sausage bap and tea went down nicely, the back 9 starts with a reasonably straightforward par 3 and then you notice the real change from the front 9, it is almost completely flat! It reminded me of Walton Heath (Old Course) with all the heather and gorse and the perfect springy turf, it is not a long course but that doesn’t mean it’s easy. Main reason for this is reserved for the real stars of the show, the greens! They are unbelievable, easily the best greens I’ve ever played on, so many subtle breaks which leave you scratching your head, the green on the par 3 8th is just unreal, I was pin high with my tee shot and then proceeded to putt it 10 yards off the green the other side, fortunately I saw the funny side, but they were so quick.

Despite the fact the heavens opened on the back 9 (I managed to play most of the back 9 again later in the day with a member) I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at Hindhead, it is the sort of course I would love to join as a member, I can’t imagine how amazing it must be to play a course like this every week, compared to its more illustrious neighbours the green fees are at a sensible level as is the membership cost. I’ve been invited back by a couple of members later in the year and I can’t wait, it was a real treat and I urge anyone to play it at least once.
June 28, 2011

Mark
June 29, 2011
Nice review...with the exception of describing Queenwood as one of Surrey's famed courses. Queenwood is only famous in Surrey for being expensive, it should not be mentioned in the same breath as the others in your list. I have also played Queenwood and whilst it is a decent test of golf with excellent (terrifying!) greens, it is not a classic in the same mould as the others you mentioned.
Simon
June 29, 2011
Mark, thanks for your feedback. Fair comment re: Queenwood, I personally rate it very highly and the greens are terrifying as you rightly point out, but yes probably not one of the famed courses due to it's exclusivity. Regards Simon
Euan Moir
I was lucky enough to play this course and what a great course it is. The front nine has some great golf holes, the 3rd in particular is a real challenge. The greens were the fastest i have ever played on, with the rest of the course also being in very good knick. If you get the chance to play here, do not pass it up as it is well worth the visit as you will experience a fantastic course along with great service from the staff.
June 04, 2011

Shaun
Beautiful course in excellent condition, more than good enough to be in the Top 100 in my opinion.
October 20, 2010

ADRIAN FOSTER
I have played this great coures a few times with a friend who's a member & i love it what a super layout with views that will please the eye & stay in the memory for quite some time.The first 9 holes are very good with 3rd hole a tough par 3 that needs a good shot to find the putting surface,i know that the climb upto the 6th tee can take the wind out of you but when you get there what a view.The half way hut is a must with great bacon rolls just what you need before taking on the the back 9.To say the back nine holes are not as good as the front 9 is unfair in my opinion many good holes await you and can spoil a good card at any time, i love the last hole with the green being framed by the club house. to sum up grest coures,great service,a must play if you have the chance.
April 15, 2010

Alistair Armstrong
The best front 9 you are likely to play anywhere. Visually stunning and the tees, fairways and greens were all in A1 condition. The back 9 whilst good is not as memorable as the previous 9 but still provides an enjoyable and fair test; I would say that the par 3 15th is the only weak hole on the course. A must play and easily justifies its' ranking
May 18, 2009

Carl Tushingham
This must have one of the best front 9 holes of golf in England, wonderful elevated tees hitting into tight valley fairways flanked by heather. The back 9 is also very nice, with 17 and 18 proving a tough finish. The greens were true and fast, and the welcome was friendly, a must play course.
May 18, 2008

Ted
Memorable front nine meandering through a wooded ravine, back nine flatter but good honest test of heathland golf, holes 17 & 18 providing tough finish. The greens are some of the best you will find anywhere, fast and true. Friendly clubhouse staff also, all in all well recommended.
May 08, 2008

Toby
I`ve played Hindhead on three occasions and come away each time thinking what an amazing course, this course should definately be in the top 100 and a must play course for golfers of all ablities.
May 01, 2008

Ian
Why is this course not ranked higher?? Not even in the Top 100, what on earth is going on! We played Hindhead at Christmas and as you would expect from a heathland course in splendid condition. This course will not disappoint - there maybe a number in Surrey/Berkshire heath belt, more famous, but in Hindhead you wil not find a better course for variety of holes and pure fun/challenge all rolled into one!. The front nine carved through ice age valleys is more infamous (all 9 holes are great!), but there are also some great holes on the back nine as well (11th, 12th, 14th, 17th and the tough 18th). We paid £50 for the green fee, so good value as well for what was a hugely enjoyable round at a very welcoming club. Half way hut rivals Sunningdale as well!
February 17, 2008

Andy
One of the most pleasurable courses I have played. In late October the course looked a picture - the colours of the leaves and the density of the trees gave the course a look of New England. The holes are so diverse and all types of hole that make up a great course are here. Long and short par3's, drivable par4, doglegs, up and downhill holes and a very tough finish with strong par4's at the 17th and 18th. Greens were in a nice condition too... Impossible not to fall in love with Hindhead after just one visit.
November 01, 2007