Hindhead - Surrey - England

Churt Road,
Hindhead,
Surrey,
GU26 6HX,

Hindhead Golf Club originally featured on the Top 100 website as a Gem and was nominated by Chris. It was added to the site in February 2005. Since then, Hindhead became an English Top 100 ranked course and then appeared within our 2016 Britain & Ireland Top 100 ranking list for the first time. Keith Baxter, Editor-in-Chief, has been singing Hindhead's praises for more than a decade and comments as follows:

Martin, a friend of mine, is a member at Hindhead Golf Club and I have been lucky enough to play here on numerous occasions. Each and every time I stand on the 2nd tee I ask myself the question: Why on earth is Hindhead not ranked more highly?

Hindhead Golf Club was founded in 1904 and it was the inspiration of a number of golfing enthusiasts. It is therefore “elementary, my dear Watson” that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was amongst the original founders.

The Devil's Punchbowl is a large hollow of dry sandy heath to the west of Hindhead and it’s overlooked by Gibbet Hill, which is the second highest hill in Surrey. The front nine at Hindhead is laid out through these heather strewn Ice Age valleys and the back nine plays on the hillside heathland plateau. The location is not only breathtaking, it’s truly beautiful.

"If you've never played the course before," wrote Tom Doak in The Confidential Guide to Golf Courses, "it would be difficult to convince you that there is a fairway waiting down there from the 2nd tee." By the time you reach the 3rd hole – one of the best par threes I’ve ever played – you too will be asking yourself the question why is Hindhead not in the Top 100? By the time you reach the par three 6th, the signature hole, you’ll be so convinced that this is a Top 100 course that you’ll be mentally writing a letter to one of the glossy golf magazine's Top 100 ranking panellists.

Undoubtedly, the front nine is the most dramatic and memorable, but the back nine also represents fine golf on ideal golfing terrain. The tee shot at 17 is intimidating and the right to left sloping fairway is tough to hit.

In my mind, without doubt, Hindhead was one of the best, if not the best course never to have appeared on a Britain & Ireland Top 100 list. A decade after first listing Hindhead as a Gem it entered our Britain & Ireland Top 100. About time I say, and I'm not alone in my opinion, Hindhead was one of Peter Alliss' favourite courses. Additionally, Hindhead was featured in Frank Pennink's Choice of Golf Courses: “Perhaps the most picturesque of Surrey’s many beautiful heather-and-pine courses.”

Click link to visit the Blog of Hindhead Golf Club’s Greenkeeping Team

Reviews for Hindhead

Description: The front nine at Hindhead Golf Club is laid out through heather strewn Ice Age valleys and the back nine plays on a heathland plateau. Rating: 8.2 out of 10 Reviews: 58
kevin
Just wished I lived closer as I think a no brainer as for being a member there.Great interesting course which is aesthetically very pleasing also a very decent half way house. The first hole doesn't reveal what the course is remotely like and then Wow, you stand on the second tee perched on top of a valley and you start to see the layout of the next three holes.The course throws up a decent challenge and quite a few more absolutely stunning holes as you progress in your round.You then finally come to the 18th which again although a decent hole it seems to secretly cloak the course once more like the first. All I can say is the members are very lucky.
October 24, 2014

Alex Grant
Played this Saturday 30th August after hearing so many positive testimonials. Course was in superb condition and the first 9 did not disappoint. Huge valleys wind their way at the bottom of the course and a little local knowledge of green complxes would have been useful for a first timer. Greens were a little slower than they looked having been top dressed and had a good dousing of rain in the previous two days. Pro assured us that at the height of summer they would be very slick. 2nd nine much more like Walton Heath/Hankley etc but still with all the gorse a challenge. Members could not have been more welcoming and the wife even got a round of applause on 18th for chipping over a bunker to 3 feet. Aleady planning a return visit soon.
August 30, 2014

Tim Lloyd
I was lucky enough to play 36 holes at Hindhead yesterday and what a day it was. Hindhead is simply a stunning golf course, full of character and such a joy to play. I've never played a course where you get the feeling that the course itself is willing you to play well - rare to find on a course of this calibre! The setting is beautiful, the course brilliantly contrasting and the condition first class - the greens are absolutely superb. A lot of reviewers have covered the front and back 9's but I truly believe the front 9 is as good as any front 9 in England and the back 9 is brilliant as well with a tough finish to keep you on your toes. Everyone we met was friendly down to earth and clearly happy and proud to be there. This is the sort of club and course that I'd join in a heartbeat if I lived locally. Lunch was delicious too. The menu, varied and generous in its portions and the patio for a post round pint is as good as it gets right at the back of the 18th. Any golfer reading this has to play Hindhead, you won't regret and I for one can't wait to go back and play it again. Tim L
August 28, 2013

Ben Payne
Hindhead remains a fantastically fun golf course to play. The scenery is spectacular and every hole on the course is a very memorable. I really cant understand why this must play course is not rated higher. If i were to have any criticisms, the greens when we played were a bit slower than most people would like (although they had just been dressed), also the par 3s i think are maybe slightly less exciting than the rest of the course, which is admittedly brilliant.
August 17, 2013

James
I have just played in the prestigious mens open here. It was very hard! These were the best greens I have played all year. The whole course is immaculate, The description above is spot on. A wonderful golf club that is a joy to play. JCB LAY
September 09, 2012

richard
Spectacular front 9 and solid back 9 make up this underrated course. I am amazed how Hindhead is not higher in the top 100 in England when it is far superior in condition and character to many higher up the list. I can only assume the green fee puts some off but for the quality of course it represents in golfing terms at least value.
March 16, 2012

Sam
March 19, 2012
completely agree, i think it should be a lot higher. It is much better than West Sussex for starters!
David
WOW....played this course on Sunday as a one ball, with my partner walking (she is a photographer) and we were not disappointed! Me for the golf and she for the amazing scenery. I have never played a course that is so naturally pretty. The front nine are all about the views and use of the valleys, (not much design needed here), but the back nine are just some of the most well structured golf holes that I have played. The staff and pro shop were also very friendly. What a course! Highly recommended and will definitely be coming back!!! This should definitely be higher on the list. Thank you Hindhead!
August 09, 2011

Simon Rourke
I played Hindhead in June 2011 as part of a society, several of our society members were in fact members at Hindhead so we were well prepped as to what was in store. First off, I have played several of the many ‘famed’ Surrey courses, including Queenwood, Wentworth (West), St. George's Hill and Walton Heath so I was very interested to see how this particular ‘unsung hero’ would perform. To my delight I was really impressed with Hindhead from when we first arrived in the car park to when we finally left, the place is a traditional members golf club and you can tell a lot of money has been spent on the clubhouse and the facilities. The locker rooms are spacious and practical and the practice facilities are fantastic.

Hindhead is a real case of two nines, I have never played a course with such contrasting front and back nines before. The front 9 literally takes your breath away, the changes in elevation are incredible once you get on the 2nd tee, many of the holes are cut through the valleys with banks on either side, the 3rd par 3 is a particular highlight with real danger if you go left. The 4th par 5 is a terrific golf hole and perfectly sums up the front 9, elevated tee, fairways banked on either side and very strategic bunkering.

At the turn you are greeted with a fantastic halfway hut where a sausage bap and tea went down nicely, the back 9 starts with a reasonably straightforward par 3 and then you notice the real change from the front 9, it is almost completely flat! It reminded me of Walton Heath (Old Course) with all the heather and gorse and the perfect springy turf, it is not a long course but that doesn’t mean it’s easy. Main reason for this is reserved for the real stars of the show, the greens! They are unbelievable, easily the best greens I’ve ever played on, so many subtle breaks which leave you scratching your head, the green on the par 3 8th is just unreal, I was pin high with my tee shot and then proceeded to putt it 10 yards off the green the other side, fortunately I saw the funny side, but they were so quick.

Despite the fact the heavens opened on the back 9 (I managed to play most of the back 9 again later in the day with a member) I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at Hindhead, it is the sort of course I would love to join as a member, I can’t imagine how amazing it must be to play a course like this every week, compared to its more illustrious neighbours the green fees are at a sensible level as is the membership cost. I’ve been invited back by a couple of members later in the year and I can’t wait, it was a real treat and I urge anyone to play it at least once.
June 27, 2011

Mark
June 29, 2011
Nice review...with the exception of describing Queenwood as one of Surrey's famed courses. Queenwood is only famous in Surrey for being expensive, it should not be mentioned in the same breath as the others in your list. I have also played Queenwood and whilst it is a decent test of golf with excellent (terrifying!) greens, it is not a classic in the same mould as the others you mentioned.
Simon
June 29, 2011
Mark, thanks for your feedback. Fair comment re: Queenwood, I personally rate it very highly and the greens are terrifying as you rightly point out, but yes probably not one of the famed courses due to it's exclusivity. Regards Simon
Euan Moir
I was lucky enough to play this course and what a great course it is. The front nine has some great golf holes, the 3rd in particular is a real challenge. The greens were the fastest i have ever played on, with the rest of the course also being in very good knick. If you get the chance to play here, do not pass it up as it is well worth the visit as you will experience a fantastic course along with great service from the staff.
June 03, 2011

Shaun
Beautiful course in excellent condition, more than good enough to be in the Top 100 in my opinion.
October 19, 2010