Hindhead - Surrey - England

Churt Road,
Hindhead,
Surrey,
GU26 6HX,

Hindhead Golf Club originally featured on the Top 100 website as a Gem and was nominated by Chris. It was added to the site in February 2005. Since then, Hindhead became an English Top 100 ranked course and then appeared within our 2016 Britain & Ireland Top 100 ranking list for the first time. Keith Baxter, Editor-in-Chief, has been singing Hindhead's praises for more than a decade and comments as follows:

Martin, a friend of mine, is a member at Hindhead Golf Club and I have been lucky enough to play here on numerous occasions. Each and every time I stand on the 2nd tee I ask myself the question: Why on earth is Hindhead not ranked more highly?

Hindhead Golf Club was founded in 1904 and it was the inspiration of a number of golfing enthusiasts. It is therefore “elementary, my dear Watson” that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was amongst the original founders.

The Devil's Punchbowl is a large hollow of dry sandy heath to the west of Hindhead and it’s overlooked by Gibbet Hill, which is the second highest hill in Surrey. The front nine at Hindhead is laid out through these heather strewn Ice Age valleys and the back nine plays on the hillside heathland plateau. The location is not only breathtaking, it’s truly beautiful.

"If you've never played the course before," wrote Tom Doak in The Confidential Guide to Golf Courses, "it would be difficult to convince you that there is a fairway waiting down there from the 2nd tee." By the time you reach the 3rd hole – one of the best par threes I’ve ever played – you too will be asking yourself the question why is Hindhead not in the Top 100? By the time you reach the par three 6th, the signature hole, you’ll be so convinced that this is a Top 100 course that you’ll be mentally writing a letter to one of the glossy golf magazine's Top 100 ranking panellists.

Undoubtedly, the front nine is the most dramatic and memorable, but the back nine also represents fine golf on ideal golfing terrain. The tee shot at 17 is intimidating and the right to left sloping fairway is tough to hit.

In my mind, without doubt, Hindhead was one of the best, if not the best course never to have appeared on a Britain & Ireland Top 100 list. A decade after first listing Hindhead as a Gem it entered our Britain & Ireland Top 100. About time I say, and I'm not alone in my opinion, Hindhead is one of Peter Alliss' favourite courses. Additionally, Hindhead was featured in Frank Pennink's Choice of Golf Courses: “Perhaps the most picturesque of Surrey’s many beautiful heather-and-pine courses.”

Click link to visit the Blog of Hindhead Golf Club’s Greenkeeping Team

Reviews for Hindhead

Description: The front nine at Hindhead Golf Club is laid out through heather strewn Ice Age valleys and the back nine plays on a heathland plateau. Rating: 8.3 out of 10 Reviews: 52
Mike Ford
Your comment why is Hindead not in the top 100 is justified. I was a member there for 20 years before I left UK to live in Thailand. I still look at the pictures of the course I have and think of the great games I had there. It is a one off, I have played some 300 courses in UK and over 100 abroad, and I have never seen a course the like of Hindhead, it is truly magnificent. I now Captain our own small golf club in Hua Hin Thailand called Butterfly Rock Golf Club, have a look at the sire brgc.biz user name BRGC password partner
July 12, 2007

David E Allen
Coming from 'up north'(North Staffordshire) we were astounded at the fantastic condition of the course in early May 2006 - better than any inland course we had played at any time of year. I dread to think how quick the greens could be in summer. Getting on the wrong side of the hole can destroy your nerve. The holes are moulded into a wonderful setting and you'll do well to play to your handicap. I agree that the outward nine is the more enjoyable and wonder if the club has ever thought of swapping them over? Best value golf you're likely to find unless you sneak onto Sunningdale without paying!
April 18, 2007

Mr Ceri Rees
I have played this course a few times over a couple of years via invites from a member. This is not a course I would wish to play regularly due to the amounts of greens that are elevated nearly out of site. This takes a lot of the fun of hitting a nice approach shot away from you when you can't see where it lands in comparison to the hole which you can't see in the first place. Another big negative is the elevation changes for walking, I believe the walk from 5th green to the 6th tee is called cardiac hill by the members. On a positive side the greens are some of the and fastest surfaces you can find. Overall not in a rush to take up another invite just yet.
July 31, 2006

June 30, 2007
Do you mind me asking where you play? Look at all the great courses, can you see the ball land on the green? no...On the lesser courses you can see the green because they are flat and boring. |Hindhead is one of the best courses you will play.
Toby FInneran
July 30, 2007
I totally agree with Stewart. Hindhead is one of the great courses i know of!
nick
January 15, 2011
You can see the ball land on the green on holes 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 13 15 16 17 18 - would have thought that was enough to satisfy most golfers. Highly recommend Hindhead
Tim Roebuck
As a new member I have to say that I have never felt so welcome in all my life, not just the best course that I have ever played (Tenby Golf Club 2nd) with the trueist greens, the tricky fairways and extrordinary views but a place that you can truley call home. Anybody that is considering a golf course that has it all (apart from water, and who wants that?) then call up and book a tee off time today.
April 12, 2006

Heath
Great course indeed. A tale of 9 nines however. Front deserves to be top 50, the back isn't quite up there though. Condition is awesome, especially the famous quick greens. Not quite up there with the best Heathland courses such as Hankley Common, Sunningdale, St  George's Hill, but certainly as good as the 3 Ws.
February 01, 2006

June 30, 2007
I'd agree with you with Sunningdale, and maybe Hankley. But St George's Hill is SO over-rated and I would put Hindhead above St G Hill.
Thomas
I can hardly echo loudly enough the sentiments expressed by those before me, that Hindhead does deserve to be judged as a top hundred course, and would add that they appear to be shared by a great deal of golfers in Surrey, whether members at Hindhead or at other clubs, often courses rated higher in surveys. With no poor holes and just a handful of average ones, this is a great course in its own right, distinctive and not just a cheap imitation, and both classy and traditional whilst not snobbish or exclusive. Its absence from any rated lists is bizarre.
December 29, 2005

Carl Statham
This is indeed a fine course, I think Peter Alliss rates the front 9 as his favorite in golf. You can understand why, it is very dramatic and it is great fun driving into the valleys. There are a couple of weak holes which probably keep it out of the top 100. But as the other reviewers say if you play here, The Addington and North Hants you'll have played the three most unsung heathland courses in the South.
December 16, 2005

June 30, 2007
Agreed, North Hants is very under-rated!
Carl Statham
The other reviewers are right. In terms of un sung heathland courses this and The Addington are up there. The front none is spectacular, it then begins to tail off before coming strong on the last few holes. Courses like Wentworth West makes the Top 100 and this doesn't. Play this course, save yourself £200. It is one of those non championship must plays.
October 22, 2005
Hindhead

I have been a member at Hindhead for several years - every (and I mean every!!!) time I have played there I have to pinch myself that I am a member. I have played many of the UK's great courses....this is one of them.
September 20, 2005
Hindhead

I played the course on a miserable dark, misty day with intermittent drizzle (remember the Sunday at the Ashes Oval 5th Test when bad light stopped play?) and was still in awe of the beauty of the surroundings.As with all great courses it is fair but has plenty of trouble if you stray into the wrong places. Having played some of the top 100 I cannot understand how Hindhead fails a place in the hall the fame. I am really glad that my friend has just joined!
September 12, 2005