Golf and Country Club Hittnau-Zürich was formed in the early 1960s on the initiative of Heinrich "Heiri" Angst, a successful athlete who had previously competed in two winter Olympics, winning a gold medal in the four-man bobsleigh in 1956. He became an equally successful businessman and, after deciding that golf was now his sport of first choice, set about negotiating land sales with local farmers in order to build his own course.
Bernhard Limburger designed the initial 9-hole layout and this opened for play on 14 August 1965. More holes were gradually added until all eighteen were ready for play six years later. The course was subsequently revised by Peter Harradine but a decision was made at the start of the new millennium to engage Kurt Rossknecht to completely overhaul the layout.
Holes 11-17 on the back nine were renovated first, involving the creation of new irrigation lakes as a primary objective, and the reworked holes were unveiled in 2008. It took a little more time to acquire additional land for the front nine development but the rejuvenated holes at #1 to #10 and #18 finally debuted in June of 2017.
Today, the course extends to 5,979 metres from the back tees, playing to a par of 72. Highlight holes include a couple of left doglegging short par fours at the 1st and 11th, along with the tough par five 3rd, rated stroke index 1 on the scorecard. Water comes into play at two of the par threes, with ponds protecting the front of the green on the 2nd and 13th.