Review for The Honors Course

I was fortunate to play The Honors Course after volunteering for the USGA Junior Am. As a volunteer, I walked the course with players during stroke play and twice during match play. After the tournament, I played the course with other volunteers.

The course is a first class layout. The fairways are generous, for the most part, but the varying lengths of the holes require you to select the best shot option. I watched the scratch golfers sometimes select irons off the tee even from the tips (which are 7600 yards in total). The turfgrass is zoysia which holds up well in the heat of summer and provides a great lie anywhere on the fairway. The rough, reallt a second cut, was just an inch or two higher providing excellent lies. On most hols, after the rough you will find native grass that is very hard to hit out of.

The greens were still hard and fast from the tournament (about 9-10 on the stimpmeter). The greens were not built as roller coasters but you will definitely need to get a solid read of breaks and speed to make your putts. From some spots, a 3-putt seems routine.

I heard from members who routinely play the course that walking is the norm. Caddies are used for most rounds. Unless you are in good shape, walking and playing will be a difficult proposition.

The staff is as professional as they get. Even to the volunteer players, they were warm and gracious. I suspect this to be customary.

It was a great experience and I am very thankful to the club for their gracious invitation to play.

Date: October 09, 2021