Review for Humewood

For those of us who have been extremely fortunate to travel the world playing golf, the identification of a ‘hidden gem’ is the Holy Grail that we all seek. Bobby Locke quite rightly once said “Humewood Golf Club is good enough to host The British Open should this Championship ever have to be played outside of Britain”. As a lover of true links golf and a native of Ireland, I couldn’t agree more. Humewood is the only links golf course in the entire continent of Africa, and with 44 bunkers it boasts a massively underrated layout worthy of majorHumewood Golf Course - Photo by reviewer golf events.

I applaud the work of Darius Oliver as tagging Humewood in his Planet Golf Top 100 courses in the World list. This links is so enjoyable and under the radar that I re-arranged my itinerary to play it twice. It epitomizes the low-key nature of those sleepy golf clubs you find in GB&I. No frills, no country club, just 100% commitments to true links golf.

Among the many highlights on the front nine is the highly celebrated stretch of 2 through 6 which offer as much challenge as anything you’ll see on the Open rotation. The back nine highlights are numerous including the superb par 4 10th, and the magnificent uphill par 4 13th, which is arguably the best par 4 in the country.

Of the 12-15 members I spoke with in person, almost everybody had a different favourite hole, which indicated to me the wide array of excellent holes. It’s not the longest course in the world, but length is unquestionably irrelevant when you’re on an old classic like this. The routing and design variety at Humewood would even have MacDonald/Raynor taking photographs. The members don’t know how lucky they are to have access to such a fabulous layout which I’d happily play every week.

Date: September 07, 2015