Review for Huntercombe

Huntercombe golf club is a very traditional old golf club located in the countryside of Oxfordshire. When I say it’s in the middle of nowhere, I really mean it and the sat nag managed to take us on a road which could barely fit a bike down it. When we got there we knew we would be in for a treat as the place was lovely.

We had a tee time at 4pm so the course was very quiet and this was much needed as the greens required a lot of time to read. The greens at Huntercombe have got to be the wackiest and most undulating greens I have ever played on, but it was a lot of fun as you were able to get super inventive. Sometimes you would be aiming your putt a good 10 cups outside the left and it would still finish low. However this made the round a lot more enjoyable and it made us all really concentrate. The course is also very tree lined as well, however it plays even shorter than the scorecard suggests as the fairways were very firm, making it not so much of a driver course.

Some of my favourite holes would be the par 4 2nd, a lovely downhill hole with the fairway sloping down to the left and a great view for your second shot. The 7th is a great par 3 playing about 210 yards with bunkers on your right and a lot of mounds and bumps on your left, making a chip shot there much harder. We also enjoyed the par 4 8th and spent a lot of time on this green hitting some putts, the pin was tucked back left on this hole which made it near impossible to make birdie as it’s a huge two tiered green with barely any room on the top tier where the pin was placed.

All the holes at Huntercombe were great and had something to them that made the course stand out and it is certainly a unique golf course that you will not come across anywhere else! I hope to come back there and play it again.

Date: July 12, 2019