Stately Lyndon Hall, built in the early 19th century and remodelled in 1928, now operates as the rather grand clubhouse at the heart of Hurstbourne Country Club. The estate, which was purchased by the Highbaugh family in 1949 and had its name changed to Highbaugh Farms, was developed as a country club in the late 1960s, with a 27-hole course designed by Chick Adams.
The club now offers its members the use of six tennis courts and a Junior Olympic-sided swimming pool in addition to a golfing layout that was renovated by Keith Foster in 2005. The original routing was unaltered by the architect but a major bunker improvement program was carried out to help the course cope with the many challenges it would face in the new millennium.
Nowadays, the main 18-hole layout extends to just over 7,000 yards from the back markers, playing to a par of 72. Notable holes include the toughest on the card at the 482-yard 2nd, with a pond in front of the tee box and another pond situated halfway along the fairway. The round ends rather unusually with a par three that plays across a little valley to a raised home green that’s circled by sand.