Inverness Golf Club was formed in 1883 at a meeting of interested parties in the Caledonian Hotel, Inverness. Thereafter, the club members played golf at nearby Longman before moving to Culcabock, erecting their first clubhouse there in 1908. James Braid advised on course changes in 1921 then again in 1937.
Part of the Culcabock course was dug up for agricultural use and given over to the war effort in the early 1940s but the full 18-hole layout was back in play within a year of hostilities ending in 1945. It took another nine years though for the first Highland golfers to stride the fairways on the Sabbath when the local Council permitted play on a Sunday!
According to Frank Pennink's Choice of Golf Courses, Inverness is: "Home of left-handers in Scotland, there being forty or fifty members who play 'the wrong way round'. At one time there were so many that the boxes were placed on the left side of the tees! The reason for this is that 'shinty' flourishes in these parts - a form of hockey, allowing a full swing on either flank."
Located only one-mile south east of the city centre, Inverness is a parkland course that has been used in the past to hold the Northern Open for Scottish golf professionals. The overall yardage is 6,256 yards, configured as five lengthy par threes, eleven par fours and just two short par fives, both of which are played early in the round.
A main road intersects the course and the Mill Burn comes into play on several holes. From the 12th tee, there are outstanding views over Inverness to Kessock Bridge and beyond to the Black Isle.
The signature hole on the course is the long par four, 475- yard, 14th called “Midmills” which requires length off the tee followed by accuracy with an approach to a green which has a very narrow entrance.
The last hole, “Deoch an Doruis” – translated as “a drink at the door” – is another long par four, measuring 461 yards, which is one of the finest finishing holes in the North of Scotland. A par here makes the refreshment to follow at the 19th hole all the more palatable.