Review for Ipswich (Purdis Heath)

During my journey through the Top 100 Golf Courses in England, there have been a few courses I have walked away from thinking “Wow, that was an unexpected Gem!” Parkstone being the one that sticks in the mind the most. Enter Ipswich!

Ipswich (Purdis Heath) is a stunning inland heathland course set in the heart of Suffolk. Measuring 6,439 yards, it uses its natural rolling terrain to carve out one of the most aesthetically pleasing courses I have played on these shores. The course layout is hugely imaginative, meaning you are rarely playing in the same direction and approach shots are as likely to be uphill as they are downhill.

The greens are carpet-like and surrounded by some of the best bunkers I have played. Filled with sand and fescue lined. Heather and woodland carve out most of the holes, with each offering its own individual test. A player who can shape the ball both ways will score well here.

So why isn’t this course more highly regarded? Well, I’d have to assume it comes down to location. If this course sat within the Surrey sand belt it would surely have more acclaim.

There would be too many holes for me to single out, but the Par 3’s are all superb one shotters, the 187y 6th being my personal favourite.

I was pleased to see in the most recent set of rankings that Aldeburgh and Ipswich swapped places for Suffolk’s number one course, as, although wildly different courses, in my opinion Ipswich offers more variety and is a lot more fun to play.

This is a course I am thoroughly looking forward to returning to.

For all photos of reviews, please follow Chris’ Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/top.100.golf/

Date: September 07, 2020

Read all reviews about Ipswich (Purdis Heath)