Review for The Island

Played this course on a windy, overcast February day. I have wanted to play this course for some time having looked at it from the dunes at next door Corballis Links which is on the same peninsula. Like I said, it was a very windy day, used the driver on a couple of the par 3's and still couldn't get to the green but had a great time. Compared to the other links in Dublin, this is more like a Donegal links, it's wild and isolated and I loved it. If you like rugged links this would be the spot in Dublin. The other links like Portmarnock or Royal Dublin are great courses too, but flatter and less spectacular I think. Having played Corballis next door plenty of times, I thought the Island would be similar but they are very different courses, you need the driver on most holes here, whereas Corballis is shorter and narrower. The sense of space here also surprised me, holes well spread out. Rough wasn't too penal, but it was February and im sure its tougher in the summer, but with the wind I didnt find that many fairways so not complaining. The greens are tough, quite a few undulations, and quite a few were up a hill, so tricky to run them in . The par-4 14th is very, very narrow, but there weren't that many easy holes . Having played all the links courses in Dublin, I think this is my new favourite, but I do prefer the kind of bumpy , rugged links so depends on your preference I suppose. Will come back on a less windy day and see if I can score better!

Date: February 20, 2012