Review for Jack's Point

I had high expectations on playing Jack’s Point, and the experience did not disappoint for a minute.

Jack’s Point was our only course in the South Island during our AUS/NZ golf trip. It is very conveniently located a 20 min ride from the Queenstown International Airport. Golf apart, the place is a destination in itself, and we were glad to stay and catch a glimpse the next day.

All the superlatives have been used in the comments below about the site and they are well deserved. The setting is probably among the most beautiful you can find for a mountain course. It is reminiscent of Banff Springs or Jasper in Alberta, which naturally come to mind : moderately hilly grounds surrounded by majestic mountains in the backdrop.

The course starts slowly with holes 1 to 4 taking you uphill towards the Wakatipu lake that you cannot see. The stretch from hole 5 to 8 was my favourite, with fantastic views on the lake. The tee shot on the par 3 7th hole, where you aim at a downhill green with the blue waters of the Wakatipu lake in the background, is perhaps my favourite. I found the lay out does justice to the surroundings and the return nine are fun and interesting as well, with perhaps the risk-reward par 4 15th to single out. The downhill drive on 16th, with the Remarkables in the background, is another highlight.

There is a 19th hole, a par 3 close to the 17th tee box.

A must play.