Review for K Club (Palmer North)

As a lover of links and heathland courses, what I would call “proper” golf, I had already condemned the K Club to the ranks of “just another US style resort out to milk every dollar from the visiting overseas visitor” prior to arriving. I am very fortunate in getting to play many of these resorts on invitations, and it is a rare occasion to walk off the course feeling that I would be happy to pay for the experience out of my own pocket, and that this has never happened to me at a resort course. Maybe it was the lack of hype or expectancy that helped prepare me for giving the K Club a fair hearing. Firstly, the hotel is priced at high end international 5* levels & this is exactly what you get. Is any hotel room worth £500 per night, £25 for a cup of tea via room service…..You can argue the value (or lack of it), but not the quality.

My experience of the course? Well the negatives are… very little elevation change and…. well that’s about it. I am stumped to think of anything else. Playing the course early in September after a dry spell certainly helped as the turf was superb. The course has matured well and initially I was surprised at the tightness of line off the tee. The risk reward factor is evident on every hole, leading to an exciting round with many heart in mouth moments reliving Ryder cup glory (or too often failures). Overall condition of bunkering, greens, rough and attention to detail was the best of any course I have played in the world and I say this through gritted teeth for the reasons stated at the top of the article. The best way to summarise my experience is to explain that my wife decided to take up the game four years ago and now plays golf to a good standard. Come January and she no longer looks to the thought of Caribbean beaches to see her through the cold dark months, but plans for the summer months around Carnoustie, St Andrews, Royal Birkdale, Woodhall Spa, etc…This years first trip is to be the K club and I can’t wait even though I’m paying for it out of my own pocket. Praise indeed!

Date: January 20, 2010

Read all reviews about K Club (Palmer North)