Members of Cincinnati Country Club formed Kenwood Country Club in 1930, engaging Donald Ross to assist with selecting a site for their new golfing enterprise. This resulted in the club acquiring almost 500 acres of land on the outskirts of Cincinnati, but it was Bill Diddell, not Donald Ross, who designed and brought into play two championship layouts, originally known as No. 1 and No. 2 courses.
No. 1 was the 18-hole layout on which the US Amateur (1933) and US Women’s Open (1963) were held. Subsequently, the expansion of Interstate 71 has seen a number of holes removed and relocated. The impact to Kenview was especially dramatic so that it now has some original holes, some that are only a few decades old, and others which are just a few years old.
For the national championships, existing holes 4 and 5 on Kenview were played as #11 and #12 on the No.1 course and current holes 7 and 6 were played as #14 and #15 on that layout. Twelve of the existing Kendale holes were also used, so only holes #10 and #13 of the No.1 have been totally lost.
Fry/Straka Global Golf Course Design was chosen to upgrade the Kenview and Kendale courses in 2019, with work due to complete on the latter the following summer.