Review for Kiawah Island Resort (Ocean)

No need to go hole by hole whatsoever. Anyone unfamiliar with this course does not have a television. There are also countless reviews on here agonizing over the numbers.

The construction and routing is the stuff of legend. Bury Me in a Pot Bunker - go read about it. I love the routing of the first nine, one of my favorite by Dye and I love Dye. Such clever holes and angles, variety and challenge and then the second nine is so repetitive, the highlight being the Volcano Par 3 at the turn of that second nine. Then again it is all very hard.

The course begs you to play on the ground - and there you will find that bloody paspalum sp. This golf course is always hard as nails. Always move up a set of tees from where you usually play yardage-wise unless you are truly skilled, otherwise every drop of fun will be soon gone. Or maybe black-and-blue golf is your pleasure, I'm not one to judge. It is in the small, similar category as Bethpage Black for absurdity of challenge, but know the Black is easier. Notably so!

Ocean at Kiawah is a true Bucket List Course for far too many reasons, the Sanctuary is a lovely place to stay. It's great to play where the pros play and be on the ground where you are so familiar from watching the screen. Go and do it, you must.

I've played the course off and on for over 25 years, it is iconic. I don't think it has enough variety nor enough versatility to be called one of Dye's greatest and I don't think it is #1 in South Carolina.

Cheers,

Date: May 21, 2022

Read all reviews about Kiawah Island Resort (Ocean)