Kiawah Island Resort (Turtle Point) - South Carolina - USA

Kiawah Island Golf Resort,
1 Sanctuary Beach Drive,
Kiawah Island,
South Carolina (SC) 29455,

Unveiled in 1981, Turtle Point was the second 18-hole layout to debut at the Kiawah Island Golf Resort. A Jack Nicklaus design, it closed for a 9-month refurbishment in 2016, allowing tees, fairways and greens to be re-grassed with Paspalum.

Reviews for Kiawah Island Resort (Turtle Point)

Description: A Jack Nicklaus design unveiled in 1981, Turtle Point was the second layout to debut at the Kiawah Island Golf Resort. A 9-month refurbishment in 2016 allowed tees, fairways and greens to be re-grassed with Paspalum. Rating: 5.3 out of 10 Reviews: 3
Zachary

I call this one the red-headed stepchild of the group. But, hey when you're in a group with the Ocean Course being the runt of the litter isn't a bad thing. The greens and fairways are maintained well. The design however seems a bit lacking. I would say this is defiantly the easiest of the bunch. A solid course in general just though to rate highly based on the quality of golf in the area. Would I play here again? No, I it isn't a bad course, but it just didn't suit my tastes. Lots of good golf around the area.

October 03, 2019

Brian LaBardi

I choose Turtle Point as one of my add on Kiawah rounds due to the seafront holes. Overall, somewhat disappointing. The inland holes were generally non-descript and the ocean holes were really really tight. Crammed up against housing.

September 23, 2019

Jeff Kissel

This course was the only resort course at Kiawah that I didn’t play on my recent trip there, but I walked a few holes and was familiar enough with it from previous rounds that I’ll submit a review.

The highlight of Turtle Point is the three holes along the ocean, framed by dunes on one side and housing on the other. #14 and #16 are mid-length par threes heading opposite directions along the beach – #16 is quasi-redan – and #15 is a mid-length par four that links the two of them, highlighted by a humpbacked green. Other than that, the course is bland resort golf with mostly unmemorable holes (outside of difficult par four finishers on each side) and doesn’t have the bolder bunkering and greens of Osprey Point or even Cougar Point, the third resort course on the island which is not ranked on this site.

All told, like Osprey Point (which I prefer to play slightly more) and Cougar Point (which I prefer to play slightly less, but played recently due to Turtle Point's unavailability), Turtle Point is worth playing if you’re staying on Kiawah Island, but not really worth traveling to play by itself.

Played August 23, 1993, September 3, 1994, & June 27, 1999