Killara Golf Club was founded as Lindfield Golf and Recreation Club in 1899 by a number of golf and tennis enthusiasts. The club was in operation for just a couple of years before it was forced to move to its present location, becoming the first golf club in Australia to own its own course in 1906.
The club’s first course quickly expanded in the early years as more land became available in adjacent paddocks but there’s no mention in a 1965 history book produced by the club of just who was involved in these remodelling exercises.
Prosper Ellis suggested course improvements in 1955 but these were shelved and a committee established to see if the job could be done in-house instead. John Harris was then engaged to examine the committee’s proposals, with the final plans presented to the membership for approval in August 1961. It took a further four years before the remodelled layout was brought into play.
Harley Kruse completed a comprehensive renovation of the course in 2020, rebuilding all the green complexes, along with some of the fairway bunkers. He also eliminated around three hundred trees to open up vistas, reversed two of the holes, and took out a par three hole which was replaced with a spare hole.