Kingswood Golf Estate - Western Cape - South Africa

South Africa

• Not known

• Sally Little with Danie Obermeyer

• Heinrich Frylinck

Located close to the fabulous Fancourt golf resort in the heart of the Garden Route, Kingswood Golf Estate is a residential development that features a wonderful 18-hole golf course as its main leisure activity.

The layout is marketed as a Sally Little Signature course, designed in collaboration with architect Danie Obermeyer, and it’s certainly a “woman friendly” track with no excessively long carries or intimidating water features and an overall yardage set at just over 6,600 yards.

Hole 1 begins the round in fine style and it immediately displays a woman’s touch with the variety of Little-influenced tee positions allowing the par three opener to play anything between 129 yards and 209 yards.

“The first is quite a difficult green to keep the ball on, so we had an extra set of tees made to the left, ensuring that the shorter hitters no longer have to carry the greenside bunker and then get the ball to stop on the green,” said Little.

It has been said that many of the severe bunker complexes at Kingswood compensate for the scarcity of other hazards on the course – and that these overly penal sand traps go a long way to negating the other positive aspects of the design – so first time visitors should be ready for a decent challenge when they play Kingswood.

Reviews for Kingswood Golf Estate

Description: Kingswood Golf Estate is located at the heart of the Garden Route and the course is the result of collaboration between the South African golfing legend Sally Little and architect Danie Obermeyer. Rating: 3.5 out of 6 Reviews: 2

I played Kingswood in late January 2017, as part of an extended golf tour of the Western Cape. I had a great time and I found the course to be great fun to play, with plenty of elevation changes, which made for some superb Kingswood Golf Estate - Photo by reviewertee shots and approaches to greens. The course is links style, fairly open with fast running fairways, no trees and deep bunkers. We go a bit of a breeze (2 club wind) on the back 9 to make things interesting. It was in excellent condition when I played it - fairways lush, greens well watered and running about 10 on the stimp. They were preparing to hold the SA strokeplay tournament there the following week. This is one of the top amateur tournaments in the country and they don't hand it out to just anywhere. The green fees are very reasonable for a course of this quality and there was a friendly welcome from the proshop and members. The clubhouse is decent. I would not hesitate to recommend playing it. I do not know how the previous reviewer awarded this course a 2 ball score. It's definitely worthy of much more than that.

Kingswood Golf Estate
January 31, 2017

It looks like this might be the first review of Kingswood, so I'm sorry to start it off on a bit of a downer.

The greeting we received when we arrived was top notch. We were greeted by friendly staff that were eager to help us have a good day.

However, the course layout and condition is not commensurate with the ranking it's received. The fairways were frequently bare of grass and the rough hadn't grown sufficiently to cover the soil.

The suggestion on the club's website is that it's designed by a lady designer, and should be better suited to a shorter hitter of the ball. However we found this to be distinctly not the case from the lady tees. Carries were frequently required over ravines and scrub that were almost too challenging for my playing partner and this ruined the round for us.

You should also note that the course offers virtually no protection form wind. It was blowing a gale when we played and it became almost impossible to play as a result.

It's a shame, it could be a great course, but from the ones I've played locally, which are all three at Fancourt, Oubaai, George and Pinnacle Point, this is my least favourite and I can't imagine I'll be the only one.

Kingswood Golf Estate