Golf has been played at Kingussie since 1891 when a 9-hole course was first built. In 1908, the advice of Harry Vardon was sought and the course extended to a full 18 holes. Several improvements have been made over the years but, essentially, today’s course is still very much as it was a hundred years ago – Highland golf at its very best in the Spey Valley.
Kingussie Golf Club is situated on upland to the north of the prosperous town of Kingussie and its elevated position offers spectacular views of the Cairngorms and surrounding mountain ranges. So, even if the scorecard has been ripped up in disgust at one’s performance on the course, the scenic splendor will offer a modicum of comfort!
Kingussie – “head of the pinewood” in Gaelic – offers easy walking on upland terrain, with only a couple of short climbs at the 4th and 8th holes. Fairways are generous with little in the way of penal rough, water features at only a few holes – when the river Gynack comes into play – and greens are a delight to putt on. Position off the tee is important on this course of only 5,501 yards and is the key to good scoring here.
The 4th is the signature hole and it measures 463 yards. “The Fort” is the only par five on the course where two ‘lang whangs’ – mighty blows – are needed to get close before chipping to the pulpit green and hopefully single-putting for birdie.