Review for Kiva Dunes

When Kiva Dunes Golf Club opened in 1995 Golf Digest called it the #2 Best New Public Course in the U.S and it still ranks as one of the finest in Alabama today. This superb Jerry Pate design is a links-style layout offering plenty of forced carries over sand dunes, lakes and natural Kiva Dunes Golf Course - Photo by reviewer wildland areas.

Manager Mark Stillings told me the course was closed for four months and reopened in November 2015 after spending US$1.5 million on improvements. Mark said they replaced the greens with Bermuda Tiff-eagle since it is much more heat, salt and wind tolerate. They also cut up the oak trees around the perimeter of the property and eliminated some of the “flashed-up” sand-walled bunkers for better ease of play.

A word to the wise - the greens are still hard since they are relatively new and extremely fast with an average size of 7,500 square feet so bring your best putting stroke. Still my fondest memory is walking up on 18 and seeing the reflection of the clubhouse lodge radiating across the pond and knowing this was my view all week long.

Kiva Dunes Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

Kiva Dunes Golf Resort is the only golf and beach resort in Alabama offering an array of 2-4 bedroom well-appointed condos and 45 top-notch houses that you can rent. This is my kind of place to stay when I’m on a group golf trip. Consistently ranked in the top 75 Best Golf Resorts in America it didn’t take us long to make it our home-away-from-home while we golfed the Gulf Shores. There have three unique tropical oasis pools, a fitness and tennis centre along with a restaurant and 3,000 feet of sugar white sandy Gulf of Mexico shoreline that they claim is the longest privately owned beach in AL.

To read more about golf in Alabama visit Golf Travel and Leisure