Review for Knebworth

I know a member here at Knebworth, so I’ve played the course many times over the years. It’s not your usual Hertfordshire parkland course due to the elevation changes and I think it could be a much better course if only the bunker sand consistency could be resolved. The 1st is a really tough opener and I’ve only managed to par this hole once with many bogeys being the norm. Despite Glaxo, I think the ground and the holes at the far end of the course are the most interesting but overall it’s a course that I’m always happy to play, especially in the spring and autumn when the ground is at its best. As the main article has already mentioned, the par threes are really good, even the two shorter ones (8 and 10). While the 1st may be the hardest hole due to the fact that it’s the 1st, I think the 9th is a really tricky par four where position off the tee is crucial. The closing hole is a brilliant par four and many of my approach shots have ended up down in the crater 80 yards or so short of the green. My bogey hole apart from the 1st is the 6th which is more about getting the tee shot through the narrow avenue of trees. Good course, great club, fabulous food – Knebworth is a real member’s club.

Date: December 16, 2011