Founded in 1917, Laurel Country Club engaged Scottish professional Seymour Dunn to set out a course for the membership. Two years later, the layout was ready for play, hosting its first tournament on 14 February 1920.
The City Beautiful was just a developing lumber town back then, with only two other courses in the state, at Jackson and Gulfport. Lumberman Charles Green had met the architect whilst vacationing in Lack Placid, New York, and persuaded him to build a course back in Laurel, his home town.
Nine holes were built originally, with another nine holes added in 1924. Right from the outset, the layout was a shot maker’s course, demanding a real understanding of the game and, more importantly, a mastery of the driver to keep the ball in play.
Towering pines and hardwoods frame the fairways, making every hole a tough proposition here. Most tee shots require precise placement to set up the best approach to the relatively small greens so there’s no point in just aiming to “grip it and rip it” if you ever get to tee it up at Laurel.