Review for Les Aisses (Les Aisses)

I mentioned to a French journalist who I was with a few weeks before my trip to France that I was playing Les Aisses and his eyes lit up. He then said he was surprised I should be going there as it doesn’t seem to attract too many visiting golfers (which was a real shame, in his opinion) but he went on to say I’d enjoy playing the course as “the owners knew what they were doing with the property”.

Well, I can confirm that I really liked the course and after talking to Mr Seydoux, the owner, when I finished my round I Les Aisses (Les Aisses) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer
can also endorse my friend’s opinion that this gentleman has a clear vision for his golf course. Having purchased the business a while back, he entrusted its future development to Russell Talley and Martin Hawtree at Hawtree Ltd and they’ve collectively embarked on a long-term renovation programme that is only now getting noticed.

They decided to concentrate on the old Red and White nines at the 27-hole facility, leaving the Blue nine just as it was, and it’s now marketed as a separate 9-hole course named after the local river, La Canne. The new 18-hole Les Aisses course has been remodelled in the style of a Surrey heathland course, with new, ragged-edged bunkers introduced and encroaching trees cut back to encourage heather regeneration along the edge of the fairways.

A couple of new holes were introduced and green surrounds Les Aisses (Les Aisses) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer
re-styled to tie in with the new arrangement of sand traps during the upgrade work. It’s by no means a done deal yet and work continues on an on-going basis but there’s no doubt the finished version of this project should look absolutely fantastic when it’s completed.

The front nine is very good – the heather around the wetland area at the par three 3rd was a joy to behold and my notes for the par 5th (which doglegs left round a small lake to the green) read “reminiscent of Les Bordes #7” which is high praise indeed – but the back nine was even better for me, with the sequence from the par five 12th to the par three 17th the best on the card. Surprisingly, there were no greenside bunkers to guard the home green, just a huge swale in the front of the putting surface which, in truth, was equally protective.

It’s rumoured Les Bordes might allow limited access to its course again in the near future and if that comes to pass then it could lead to more golfers having a look at what’s on offer here at Les Aisses, considering the two venues are only 27 kilometres apart. If the club does profit from such extra footfall then word of mouth will surely bring even more golfers through the front door at this progressive golf club.

Date: August 01, 2018

Read all reviews about Les Aisses (Les Aisses)