Review for Linden Hall

I played here in February 2018 whilst on a weeks holiday to Northumberland. We stayed at the Macdonald hotel on site. This is a very enjoyable course with a good mixture of woodland, parkland holes. With plenty of bunkers and many dog legs it’s important to be properly positioned off the tee, something which playing it a second time you can only benefit from.

I teed off early and the pro shop hadn’t opened and there was no one around to collect the green fee although I had booked with the pro shop direct. It meant paying at the end but seemed strange that the course wouldn’t be prepared for early starters.

The course was in very good condition for the time of year. I played off the yellows and found the round thoroughly enjoyable. The par 3’s were all strong and the short downhill par 3 over water and a rather large tree to the front right of the green was great to play.

The greens were good for February and ran true. The bunkers of which there were many were in good condition.

To a certain extent its a shame that a hotel chain owns it because it could become a top quality track with greater investment in the actual course and probably as a private members set up. That said the hotel is lovely, the Linden pub good and combining it with a stay in the hotel is a really nice thing to do. My wife went for a spa whilst I played.

I would certainly stay there again and combine with golf at Alnmouth, Dunstanburgh to make a really good golfing few days away.

Date: July 15, 2019