Review for Liphook

Liphook is a charming and beautifully presented course, incorporating a great variety of holes. The combination of pine trees, heather, white sand and the occasional lake give it a wonderful feel to match almost any other course (and given I played Queenwood directly before, this is compared to some stiff competition!)

The course has a really nice routing with regular changes of direction and elevation. I never played it before the recent overhaul and a good sign that they did a great job is that I could hardly tell which were the new holes.

I didn’t have my “A game” but could appreciate the quality of the course nonetheless. My standout shot was from the bunker in front of the 18th which I caught way too clean. It bounced on the path beyond the green, up on to the clubhouse roof, then rolled back down again and bounced back to the edge of the green. I almost holed the putt for an unconventional par! I gather from my host that I am not the first, and will doubtless not be the last, to do this.

Liphook is a very playable course with little to fault about it. Overall it arguably doesn’t quite have as many standout holes as some of the top Surrey heathland courses that it inevitably is compared to. However a great indicator of the quality of any course is how much you want to play it again and I certainly will be looking to come back as soon as I can.

Date: May 05, 2021