Review for Little Aston

I have played here twice this year after making the decision to ‘tick off’ another Top 100 Course not too far from home. I played at end March and then again in June.

To be honest the course grabbed me more the 1st time than the second, partly because whilst the weather wasn’t great in March, the course was in excellent condition for the time of year and partly because of the amazing bunkering, which I found on many occasions. What made the bunkers stand out was the quality and consistency of the sand, and it’s the 1st time I have ever taken a 5 hybrid from a bunker and nailed a 165 yard shot from one onto a green!

The course has pretty wide fairways to what I am used to at my home club, so it encouraged me to relax and as a result I hit pretty straight all day.

The greens again were true and quite quick for end March which again gave you confidence when putting.

The 1st is a gentle opener, but followed by a long uphill par 4 and then 1st of the par 5’s down a hill and back up the other side of the valley to a large and relatively flat green. A nice if yet unspectacular start to the round.

The par 3’s are of good quality, my favourite being the 13th, with great bunkering to catch wayward or short shots to the right. I loved the 17th with a semi island green (surrounded on 3 sides by water) although I ended up in it on both rounds!

The 18th is a little bland for a finishing hole.

Loved the quirky putting green where you can play a little match before setting off, or even after a round.

On arrival the 1sdt time we were greeted in person by the pro and shown our table to have our breakfast. Really nice touches and great attention to detail. The fact that it is located behind a very private estate of expensive houses gives it a real quality feel.

The 2nd time was less over whelmed as the fairways were still playing ‘catch up’ from the heat of Summer 2018 and it made me realise I had been over critical of my own course, as this is Top 100 Course and not in any better condition.

That said it is a great course and combined with Beau Desert makes for a quality overnighter in the Midlands.

Date: July 16, 2019