Review for Little Aston

My 2nd visit to Little Aston and as others have said, I think it needs a couple of visits to appreciate the course. A good parkland course with big imposing bunkers on every hole (I had the pleasure/displeasure to visit most of them), which means you need to plot your way round.

The opening hole eases you in to the course but the 2nd, straight back up the hill to a well protected green, let’s you know you’re not in for an easy ride. The par 5’a aren’t particularly long and a big hitter could hit a couple of them in 2 fairly easily, if they position their drive well.

We played off the tips, which I feel shows the course at its best, which brings a lot of the fairway bunkers in to play. The course was in very good condition and the greens fair and true.

My only criticisms of the course is that I feel the green fee at £115 is far too high (£80 would be fair) and the Stroke Index ratings are all over the place. The 4th (S.I 1) is no more than a drive wedge, with the 2nd and 10th being much more difficult holes.

Maybe slightly too high in the top 100 ratings, but definitely worthy of being in the list.

Date: September 11, 2020