Review for Littlestone (Championship)

Firstly, many thanks to the Secretary for taking out 15 mins of her day the day before to rearrange some tee times and find me a spot in the first group. Played the course on a bright, sunny, cold morning Dec 28th. A little bit of wind but plenty of frost. My 7.20 tee time was delayed till 10.10 but was away with a likeable member in the first group.

The first hole is, well, a bit too gentle. I did pull my ball just off the fairway into the icy rough and given the backlog behind me there was no way I was going to spend more than a cursory glance looking for it. The second hole is a beauty, a burn cutting across for the strong drive and an opening between two large dunes to get to the green. This opening really was the opening to the rest of the course which I found to be interesting, well - shaped, great bunkering and greens. The par threes were fantastic and each hole had enough to make you think.

It does not have the drama of towering dunes, blind shots, large undulations etc but the land is a lot more interesting than what the 1st and 18th suggest. Not unlike Panmure in a way. There are plenty of mid sized dunes, dog legs and as mentioned the bunkers are well placed.

This course was surprisingly good. I knew it would be good as per the reviews on this website but I know at times this website, in my opinion, lauds too highly certain courses. I went into this course with the same expectation I had for Luffness New – that is, this should be good but ended up being a bit boring. That is not the case here and it’s a good 1.5 balls stronger than Luffness. It ranks with the likes of Panmure, Monifieth, Seacroft, Hayling – not into 6 ball territory but a solid 5 baller.

Warren from Aust

Date: December 29, 2017

Read all reviews about Littlestone (Championship)