The Llandudno Golf Club – or Maesdu (“Black Meadow”) as it’s now known – was formed in 1915 and the 18-hole course was laid out on land between the Wardre Hills and the Irish Sea, just to the south of Llandudno, with great views of Conwy Bay, the headland of Great Orme and, in the distance, the Isle of Anglesey.
Designed by James Braid and Tom Jones, the first professional at the club who retained a position with the club as professional, steward, greenkeeper and captain for over fifty years. Maesdu is one of a great trio of clubs in the locality (the others being North Wales and Conwy) that offer locals and holidaymakers alike a veritable feast of fine golf.
Golfers of a slightly more mature vintage will remember that the Penfold Tournament was held here half a dozen times between 1952 and 1968 (with the likes of Eric Brown, Henry Cotton and Peter Alliss winning) and Mr. Penfold, of the ball manufacturing company, opened the new Llandudno clubhouse during that halcyon period of competitive golf.
The opening two holes and closing two holes of this parkland course are played on one side of the main A546 road and, on the other side, holes 9,10 and 11 run along the railway line that separates the layout from the North Wales course next door. Water hazards run across the fairway at nearly half the holes on the card, threatening the tee shot at some and protecting the green at others.
June 27, 2010