Review for Loudoun Gowf

If I could write a tagline for Loudoun Gowf it could be The Good, The Similar and the Just Plain Crazy. The good being some good quality golf holes namely, the opening five, along with holes 11,12 ,17 and 18. The similar being holes 6-9 inclusive,13 and 14, all of which are similar in nature and length and design. And saving the best till last, the just plain crazy, which is the position of the 15th tee, so close to the Loudoun Gowf Course - Photo by reviewerentrance/exit road that I don’t know why the Health and Safety Executive hasn’t been involved?

To expand on the good holes, I would single out the 3rd Elbow, which utilizes the serpentine ditch to such an extent that you question your risk and reward or lay up options. The 4th which is a picture perfect par 3 over a hidden burn and the 12th, perhaps the best hole of the 18, a short par 4 which from the tee provides you with a split fairway but the second shot is a testing affair to a tough green which can be difficult to hit and hold.

If I could give the people of Loudoun a bit of advice it would be to look at their policy at 17 and 18 which means a lot of hanging about. In short, a group will play the par 3 17th and then clear the 18th tee before the next group can go, a bit daft and over protective in my view.

Loudoun is undoubtedly a nice course but I found too many holes to be up and down in nature, with some dog-legs thrown in to provide a bit of variety however, I can’t fault the conditioning and the value for money the Loudoun provides and it is a course, in my view, which is a perfect choice for any society day out.

MPPJ