Review for Luffenham Heath

These two latest six balls reviews are surely the work of Luffenham members or club staff? Luffenham does have positives in that it is set in a lovely place and 17 is one of the best par threes in the Midlands and 18 a great closer. But there are too many average holes at Luffenham which makes the experience rather forgettable. I’m always sceptical when reviewers say that the members are welcoming and the staff friendly – these aspects are of secondary importance to the golf course and suggest the reviewer is somewhat biased. Unfortunately the soil at Luffenham is too heavy for it to play like a heathland course and compared to Notts, Luffenham is in a much lower league which may suit higher handicappers as the Luffenham test is not exacting. When I last played here in Sept 2011 I managed to play to handicap and I was playing poor golf that day. If I was on similar form at Notts, I’d have finished eight or nine shots off handicap. In summary, an OK course, worth playing if in the area, but it will never stand up to scrutiny compared to Notts. They will need to grow the rough and narrow the fairways when Open Qualifying comes here in 2013 or it will be ripped apart.

Date: May 28, 2012