Review for Luffness New

We visited Luffness New last year, and we went for the full enchilada: 36 holes of golf with the lunch wedged in between the rounds. Don't forget to bring your jacket and tie!

For me it is difficult to describe the golf at Luffness New, but I understand why people call this old school links golf . The course itself looks a bit dull when you pass it on the road to Gullane, but it is only once you are actually on the course, you see the subtle challenges that lay ahead. It also has some of the quirkiness that seems to come with links golf. It is a course that forces you to just play shot by shot, in stead of trying to score a certain number, and for me that is a unique characteristic that only a very few courses offer.

Apart from the outstanding quality of the golf course in general, it is the design and placing of the bunkers on the fairway, but even more so around the greens that makes this venue so special. Although the greens at Longniddry had slightly better roll and consistency, the design of the green complexes of Luffness New are top class. Sometimes being on the fairway is not enough: when arriving at your ball, you realise you had to be at the other side of the fairway to have had a chance to get the ball anywhere near the pin.

Some will find it highly old fashioned to have warm lunch, forcing you to dress up and down in between rounds, we just enjoyed the ride. At least it gives you a second chance at the holes you messed up in the morning.

After the 36th hole, we had a nice beer on the bench outside the clubhouse, so we did not had to get dressed up twice ;-)

A few people refer in their review to the green fee price level at Luffness New as being to high. I just tried to enjoy the golf course at face value, and really enjoyed it. But given the height of the green fee at Luffness New, there will be a lot of other courses to be discovered by me before I return to Luffness.....

OCB